It is important to have your medicine cabinet well supplied to be able to effectively deal with illnesses and accidents when they occur. The following is a list of commonly used medications and supplies which you may find useful to keep on hand.
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol) -This comes in several forms from drops to chewable tablets. It is used for pain and fever control.
- Ibuprofen (Children’s Motrin, Children’s Advil Suspension) -This over the counter medicine is very effective at relieving fever. For accuracy in our dosing guide, buy the 100 mg. per teaspoon liquid. For older children and adults ibuprofen tablets (Nuprin, Advil) are available.
- Neosporin Ointment -This is used for treating cuts, scrapes and superficial skin infections.
- Benadryl (diphenhydramine) -This antihistamine medication is used for allergic reactions and itching.
- A cold and cough medication such as Dimetapp Cold and Cough. Use only for children over the age of six years.
- Infalyte or Pedialyte -These carbohydrate and salt solutions are used to treat vomiting and diarrhea in children.
- Hydrogen Peroxide -This topical antiseptic solution is used to cleanse wounds and skin infections.
- The following health aids are useful: Bandaids, gauze 4 x 4’s, thermometer, tweezers, scissors, white tape.