About Dr. Byrum
Dr. Byrum joined All For Kids Pediatric Clinic in 1989. He completed his BS in Chemistry at Ouachita Baptist University in Arkadelphia, Arkansas. After graduating from the University of Arkansas College of Medicine he completed his residency in Pediatrics at Arkansas Children’s Hospital/UAMS in 1988.
Dr. Byrum is board certified by the American Board of Pediatrics. He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American College of Pediatricians. He is a member of American Medical Association, the Pulaski County Medical Society and the Arkansas Medical Society. He was licensed to practice medicine in 1985 in the state of Arkansas by the Arkansas State Medical Board. He has served as Chief of Pediatrics at Baptist Health Medical Center in Little Rock and North Little Rock.
Dr. Byrum is married to his high school sweetheart, Sherri McCallie Byrum. They have four children: Julie (Married to Joel Stone), Kathryn (married to Chad Benson), Daniel (married to Courtney), and Luke AND they have five grandchildren: Eden Grace Benson, Charlee Stone, Isaiah Benson, Kylie Stone and James Byrum.
Dr. Byrum served as an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences from 1988 – 1989. He currently serves as the medical director of the After Hours Pediatric Clinic at Baptist Health Medical Center in Little Rock from 1990 – present. Dr. Byrum has trained hundreds of nurses and physicians over the past 20 years in neonatal resuscitation as a NRP hospital based instructor. He has served as pediatric editor of the Journal of the Arkansas Medical Society from 1996 – 2001.
Practice philosophy: “There is a design to everything. Nothing is here by chance. God has created wonderful works and we see that in the human body. I try to understand how God has intended for us to live and then try to cooperate with his design. I pray for wisdom and for God’s protection for my patients. Understanding that there are dangers and risks to children in this world, I try to minimize those risks and provide treatment that is in line with Nature.
Raising four children and helping to raise five grandchildren has been some of the best training to be a pediatrician that I could have. Understanding something about the love that a child needs from his parents cannot be taught any other way. It also gives practical training in how to raise kids. I love Julie and Joel, Kathryn and Chad, Daniel and Luke very, very much. I also love my grandchildren very much! They have been my best instructors for medical practice.”
Dr. Byrum has had four primary mentors in his medical practice. They are:
- Robert H. Fiser, Jr. MD, chairman emeritus, UAMS department of Pediatrics
- Betty Lowe MD, past chief of staff Arkansas Children’s Hospital, Past President of American Academy of Pediatrics
- Robert Arrington, MD, chief, neonatology section, UAMS
- Roger Bost MD, past chief Area Healthcare Education Centers, Arkansas, professor of pediatrics UAMS
You can read Dr. Byrum’s tribute to his mentors by clicking: Mentors Epitaphs Patients.pdf
- Named One of the Best Pediatricians in the State by Arkansas Business 2002
- Named Best Pediatrician in Central Arkansas by readers of the AR Democrat Gazette 2003
- Named Best Pediatrician in Central Arkansas by readers of the AR Democrat Gazette 2004
- Named Favorite Pediatrician by readers of Little Rock Family Magazine 2005
- Named One of the state’s best pediatricians, Arkansas Times, October, 2009
- Speaker for Mead Johnson Nutritionals, Enfamil Lipil brand, 2002
- Speaker for Ther-Rx Corporation, Primacare prenatal vitamins, 2002 – 2003
- Speaker for Abbott Nutritionals, Similac Advance Early Shield brand, 2008 – 2010
- Speaker for Concerta brand, McNeil pharmaceuticals, 2002 – 2007
- Speaker for Ulesfia brand, 2014
- 17 mission trips to the cities of Novgorod, Russia, Krasnoufimsk, Russia, Ascension, Paraguay and Dopelampasse, Suriname.
You can follow Dr. Byrum on Twitter by clicking here.
When not at the office practicing medicine you can find Dr. Byrum:
- playing with his grandchildren
- at Greers Ferry Lake water skiing with his family or sitting on the top of a party barge at night looking at the stars
- on some mountain top reading his bible and looking at the wonder and beauty of creation
- skiing down Lost Boy in Vail, Colorado
- making music with some of his friends
- laughing with his family